Time to Capsule

Have you ever stood in your closet for 30 minutes in the morning trying to figure out what to wear? Have you ever worn the same outfit over and over again week after week because it’s not only a favorite, but the only one you feel confident in? Have you ever purchased a top only to find you have nothing else to wear it with and now need new pants, shoes, jewelry and somehow a hat and a handbag? Yes? I know I have! Way too many times.

I used to stand staring into the tiny abyss of my minuscule closet waiting for a piece to cry out “pick me!! I’ve not been worn all season!!” My husband and I share a very tiny closet, so containing my clothes is a major daily struggle. 


This spoke to me on another level! 😍

Apartment living isn’t for the faint of heart. There’s a huge lack of storage and when someone *cough me cough* has too many clothes, it creates a bit of a struggle to keep the closet tidy and its contents visible. I discovered the wonders of Capsule Wardrobing via Pinterest (go figure 🙄😅) and came across Leanne Blackmon’s ebooks. Life changing I tell ya! Life.changing. Her Facebook group, 
Capsule Wardrobe Collective, quickly became an inspiration and felt like home. I followed her Winter 2017 ebook to the T and loved every second of it. I had so much extra time in the morning to actually make and eat breakfast, fix my hair, do a devotional, catch up on a show... whatever my morning led me to do! Life.changing!!! 

I’ve decided to continue with capsuling, but living in Florida, I don’t need a lot of the pieces shown. SO! I’m doing a year-round capsule wardrobe and I’m taking you on the journey with me! 

Start with your base color(s): 
  • Black
  • Grey
Then choose your accent colors, usually 2-3:
  • Navy
  • Dark Red
  • Blush Pink

Here is my color palette for my capsule!

Okay, now, I need you to take a deep breathe because this next part is going to sound awful. I need you to empty your entire closet onto your bed. Yes, you read that right. Empty. Your. Closet. All of it. Onto your bed. 

The only clothes you see here are the Hubs tees (he’s not a capsule kinda guy 😉)

This will do two things: 
  1. Force you to make sure it’s done before bed, or you’re sleeping on the floor or couch 🤣 
  2. Give you a clean slate to put back what you’re keeping!! 
Put some fun music on; I like to jam while I create my capsule! 

My new favorite jam 😍🙌🏼

Now you’re going to start going through each item, creating four piles while asking yourself the following questions. 
  1. Does this item fit properly? Pile 1
  2. Does it need mending? Pile 2
  3. Is it stained or have any tiny holes? Pile 3
  4. Do you LOVE it and feel CONFIDENT in it?! Pile 4
As you go through and create your piles, really consider each item and how often you truly wear it. If it has any sentimental value to you (ie, a tee given by your elementary school best friend, or a jacket you have been able to fit into since high school no matter what your size, or a pair of jeans that you and your friends have all worn... Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants style!) take a picture of you wearing the item, or find a favorite picture of you and those great friends to remember that item by. No need to keep something you’re not wearing! Your true goal is to get down to around 30-40 items per season, depending on where you live. Please don’t toss out your best parka or snow boots just because it’s summer time and you don’t need them right now. 

Now here’s where the fun really begins!! You get to put it all away!! 😅 I started with my dresses, then skirts, pants, blazers, cardigans, and blouses by color & sleeve length. 

Left side has my Winter pieces, scarves and then my Spring, Summer & Fall 

I figured out that my husband’s tees could go on the lower rack in our closet, which allowed for me to put my entire year-round capsule in the closet! This eliminated me having to use space-bags for my heavier pieces! Our jackets are still in our hall closet, which is much roomier now too! 

I’ll list below how many of each piece I have, which I hope will help you build your own year round (if not, seasonal!) capsule! 

6 dresses

1 patterned skirt

3 Pencil skirts (1 in each base color)

2 linen pants

3 ankle/crops 

2 trousers

1 denim jacket

4 shorts

1 white skinny crop jean

1 denim skinny crop jean

1 denim skinny jean

1 black skinny jean

4 blazers

5 patterned blouses 

3 cardigan * (2 winter/1 spring)

10 solid blouses

2 leggings

4 sweaters

1 turtleneck 

6 scarves (3 per season) 



19 pairs of shoes - this will be another blog during the summer as I need to pair this down more! 

Husband’s shirts all organized by type and color, along with two of my main handbags and one tote. 

I have around 100-120 total pieces in my capsule. These items will all coordinate with each other and I no longer am standing in my closet trying to figure out what works, what fits, and what I feel confident in. As women, we have it hard enough trying to find time for “us”. It’s easy to lack confidence while wearing something that you once thought you rocked out all because some stranger made one comment in passing or stares too long and we naturally felt that it was us they were staring at. Be confident in what you’re wearing! Wear it with pride! Take control over your wardrobe; it’s one of the few things in this hectic world we *can* control! Don’t let anyone shake you. I’ve never felt more confident in getting dressed than I do with my capsule wardrobe. I wish the same for you. 💖 


Comments

Popular Posts